Call for Applications
DUE: October 1st, 2018
The position of Gallery Director, Hera Gallery/Hera Educational Foundation is a part-time administrative position. As such it is a creative springboard allowing a motivated individual the opportunity to contribute to the local arts community by leading a well-regarded institution. Hera encourages the gallery director to pursue his or her professional interests. The gallery director may develop skills in the following areas: curatorial experience and exhibition design, graphic design and social media marketing, professional level arts writing, development skills, grant writing, website development.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Organizational skills
• Good computer skills—proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, familiarity with
• Administrative experience, with ability to multitask
• The gallery director must have the ability to work with a diverse audience of local
community members as well as artists, arts professionals, funders, and media. Serves as
liaison with community
• background or involvement in the visual arts is ideal, but not necessary
• Director reports directly to the President of the Board of Directors.
• Administrative: execute the general day-to-day operations of the gallery, supervise
interns and volunteers, maintain exhibition and gallery records. Facilitate
communication between artist members, Board of Directors and Friends of Hera.
Oversee preparation of bulk mailings.
• Public Relations: includes writing press releases, developing relationships with
journalists; assisting with writing and editing gallery publications such as website,
newsletters, fundraising materials and targeted emails to journalists, supporters, artists
and maintaining a presence on social media.
• Development: Works with Board members to:
• implement annual fundraising initiatives
• expand our donors and Friends of Hera members.
• increase artist membership.
• Assist exhibiting artists and curators with coordination of exhibitions and programs.
• Attend and prepare Director’s report for monthly Board meetings; attend gallery
This is a 20 hour/week position at $12-$14 per hour depending on experience. The director is
responsible for opening and closing the gallery Wednesdays-Fridays 1-5pm and then uses the
other eight hours before or after gallery hours.
To apply email a cover letter and resume to:
email@example.com (put "Job Application" as the subject)
OR mail to Barbara Pagh, Hera Gallery, PO Box 336, Wakefield, RI 02880
by October 1st, 2018.
Comments from previous Hera directors:
"The director position at Hera Gallery opened up opportunities that as a young malleable artist, broadened my understanding of the professional art world while still supporting my growth, both as an artist and as a young executive in the field. Hera Gallery became my place for artistic community, personal transformation, and encouragement in innovation and education."
"The directorship at Hera is an experience unlike any other. The variety of responsibilities gave me a chance to grow my skills in a multitude of ways, building on what I already knew and extending my knowledge in previously undiscovered directions."